Tips to Secure Your WordPress Website
Posted by Manmeet Anand
A break-in of any of your online accounts is bound to be frightening, but a break-in of your WordPress site is especially alarming. Such a break-in could result in phony and inappropriate information posted on your blog that could be seen by your followers and could jeopardize the popularity of your blog.
One of the most basic ways to avoid break-ins and stay up on WordPress security is to constantly make sure that you are running on the most recent version of WordPress. This is a simple thing that any WordPress developer would want to do to stay up on the latest security precautions and to keep familiar with any new WordPress customization features.
Hire expert WordPress Developer for making your wordpress website secure
Yet much more is necessary if you really want to feel assured that you are doing all that you can to prevent hackers from accessing your WordPress site. Although it is impossible for any site to be 100% secure, every little precaution you take will drastically decrease the chances of an unauthorized break-in of your WordPress page. Hackers are not known for their patience, and the most vulnerable sites are those whose owners have done nothing to enhance the security of their WordPress accounts. Take the following factors into consideration when maximizing the security of your WordPress website:
- Password. Don’t underestimate the importance of a good password. Avoid using one simple word as a password, and try to add special characters such as % and #. Changing your password regularly can help prevent unauthorized access to your WordPress site, and making your password longer than eight characters is important.
- Good habits. Get into good habits regarding the use and upkeep of your WordPress page. Limit the number of plugins you use, and be sure to get rid of plugins you don’t use as soon as possible. Perform regular backups on the data in your WordPress account, and stay current on news regarding WordPress break-ins and new techniques established by the WordPress developer community.
- Security plug-ins. There exists a plethora of WordPress security plugins that you can choose from to enhance the safety of your WordPress website. A WordPress developer would know best what particular plugins would be most successful with your page. Three great possibilities for WordPress customization with security in mind are Wordfence, Better WP Security, and BackWPUp. Wordfence is effective at blocking IP addresses from flooding your site, and Better WP Security increases security through several different methods. BackWPUp is a free plugin that will allow you to easily back up the files from your WordPress account.
- CDNs. Content delivery networks can increase the security of the WordPress website by filtering the traffic that comes to your site and reducing the chances that your WordPress page will become a target. Two examples of CDNs that can be used free of charge are CloudFare and PageSpeed Service by Google.
- .htaccess (Hypertext Access). This is an aspect of your WordPress website that might best be left in the hands of a knowledgeable expert in WordPress customization. However, properly configuring Hypertext Access can be highly effective at increasing the security of your WordPress page, and you could possibly rely on the WP .htaccess Control plugin for assistance with Hypertext Access.
If you undertake one or all of these WordPress security precautions, you can rest assured that the chance that your WordPress website is hacked will be very slim. With a little bit of vigilance and the assistance of some well-chosen WordPress customization techniques, you can almost be guaranteed the worry-free enjoyment of the ease and convenience of the WordPress platform without the risk of having your blog’s content compromised by the possibility of hacker interference.